Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Drowning Doesn't Look (or Sound) Like You'd Expect

Most people who succumb to drowning do not flail their arms or shout for help.  They usually go under silently.  This excellent article on gCaptain (by and for maritime professionals such as but not including lifeguards) reminds us to keep our eyes AND our ears alert for each other this summer.  Unlike what you'd expect, LACK of noise is the real red flag that someone is in trouble:

"There is very little splashing, no waving, and no yelling or calls for help of any kind. To get an idea of just how quiet and undramatic from the surface drowning can be, consider this: It is the number two cause of accidental death in children, age 15 and under (just behind vehicle accidents) – of the approximately 750 children who will drown next year, about 375 of them will do so within 25 yards of a parent or other adult. In ten percent of those drownings, the adult will actually watch them do it, having no idea it is happening (source: CDC)."

I became aware of this article on one of my local mommies' e-loops.  It has apparently been shooting around on Facebook, but I'd never read it before.  I guess I'm "injecting" it into my social media neighborhood.  Of course, I hope none of us has these close calls this summer or ever, but I'm glad now to be aware and to share it with all of you and your loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment